Frequently asked questions

Ensure you have the best camping trip possible by finding out as much as you can before you leave.

    Camping permits and vehicle access permits

    Which permits do I need to go camping?

    You need to book and pay for a camping permit for all camping in our parks and forests. Some parks and recreation areas require a vehicle access permit (VAP), see below for details.

    Do I need a vehicle access permit and how much does it cost?

    If you’re visiting Bribie Island, K'gari (Fraser Island), Mulgumpin (Moreton Island), Cooloola or Minjerribah recreation areas in a vehicle, you’ll also need to buy a vehicle access permit (VAP). See vehicles access permit fees for fee structure and permit details.

    How do I get my permits?

    Permits can be booked and paid for online. After booking you’ll be emailed an e-permit—bring a copy of this to display on your tent or recreational vehicle. You can also write your permit number on a camping tag, generally available at the park.

    • Display your camping tag or vehicle tag containing your booking number, surname and vehicle registration by affixing it to your camping structure, or placing it on the front dashboard of your vehicle.
    • Park rangers will check your camping tag to confirm your stay at the camping area, and your vehicle access tag to ensure you are permitted to drive in a recreation area.

    To obtain your permit tag online from the National Parks Booking Service, see instructions on how to Reprint permit tag

    How much does camping cost?

    See camping fees for the fee structure and guidelines. Fees increase slightly in July/August each year.

    What is the latest day that I can cancel or change  my booking?

    To be eligible for a refund, the request must be made more than two (2) calendar days prior to the permit start date (e.g. if the booking commences on Saturday – then any modification or cancellation must be completed prior to midnight Wednesday). All requests for a refund must be submitted within 28 days of the end of the permit or booking period.

    See instructions on how to change or cancel a camping booking.

    Where can I stay with my caravan?

    To find a camping area that can accommodate a caravan use the Camping area search. You can refine the list by selecting a region from the options at the top of the page or add additional features.

    Where do I get a barge or ferry from?

    If travelling to K’gari (formerly Fraser Island) barge information is available on Getting there and getting around.

    Ferry information to Cooloola Recreation Area is available on Visiting safely.

    Using the booking system

    How do I create an account?

    Go to the Queensland National Parks Booking Service. On the top-right of the home page, click on ‘Create Account’. Enter your details into each of the available fields (* indicates mandatory information) and once completed, click ‘Create Account’. You will now be able to log onto your new Queensland National Parks Booking Service using your email address and the password you selected.

    Watch a video on how to create an account.

    How do I make a booking?

    Once you are logged into your Queensland National Parks Booking Service account, please click on the Camping or Vehicle Access tabs at the top of the screen to proceed through to make a booking.

    Watch a video on how to make a camping booking.

    How do I make changes to my booking?

    Modifications can be made to your camping booking (subject to conditions) using the Queensland National Parks Booking Service. See Modify a camping booking for conditions and detailed instructions.

    What if I forget my password?

    From the Queensland National Parks Booking Service home page, locate the ‘Login’ prompt on the top-right of the page. Once the page has loaded please select the Recover your Account link, enter your email address and you will be emailed a temporary password to log on to the Queensland National Parks Booking Service.

    How do I update/modify my email address and/or details?

    Log in to the Queensland National Parks Booking Service and click on “Your Account”. A drop down menu will appear. Click on “Your Account” and then on “Your Profile” to view your account details. From here enter your current password and continue down the page and update the necessary fields. When you are satisfied with the changes, click the Save Changes button located at the end of the page.

    Why do I need an email address?

    An email address is required to set up a new account through the Queensland National Parks Booking Service. There are a number of free email account providers to choose from. Open up a new browser and search for “Create email account” and review the results for the option that best suits your needs.

    When booking through the Queensland National Parks Booking Service, we collect your email address and mobile phone number to allow our Rangers to proactively manage potential safety issues. In the event of extreme weather or natural disaster forewarnings, the department is able to contact visitors registered to camp either in person, on site, or via email/SMS before arrival to advise them of any changes in conditions.

    Providing an email address also ensures that confirmation emails can be sent to you. These emails will provide you with a copy of your tax invoice and your camping or vehicle access permit for you to print out. We will also be providing customers with information relevant to their stay, such as dingo (Wongari) messages for K'gari visitors.

    What makes for a good password?

    Please create a case sensitive password that is between 4 and 10 characters. You can use any combination of letters and numbers.

    For greater security, we recommend your password be at least 8 characters long and contain at least 3 of the following 4 characteristics:

    1. lower case letter
    2. upper case letter
    3. number
    4. special character, limited to. !, #, $, &.

    How do I access my account after booking over-the-counter or by phone?

    From the Queensland National Parks Booking Service home page, locate the “Login” prompt on the top-right of the page. Once the page has loaded please select the Recover your Account link to retrieve a temporary password to log on to the Queensland National Parks Booking Service using your email address and the temporary password provided. You will then be prompted to change your password to one you can remember next time you log into your account to make a booking.

    What if I didn’t receive an email with my permit tag and receipt?

    The Queensland National Parks Booking Service sends permits by email. If you didn't receive an email, please check your email account ‘Junk’ folder. We recommend you add us to your address book so we are recognised by your email provider.

    You may also need to review your account details to check your email address has been correctly added to your account.

    Can I get a copy of my camping or vehicle access permit?

    Yes. Log in and click on “Your Account” through the Queensland National Parks Booking Service. A drop down box will appear. Click on “Purchases” and then “All Bookings”. Here you can select the start date of your booking for the required permit and by clicking “Apply Filter” your permit will appear in the results. Permits are not able to be posted by mail however you can collect a permit tag by visiting a Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS) service counter or one of our friendly over-the-counter agents. You will need to write your permit number on the permit tag. View locations by visiting camping and vehicle permit booking locations.

    How can I update the rego on a vehicle access permit?

    Modifications can be made to your vehicle access permit (subject to conditions) using the Queensland National Parks Booking Service. See Modify a vehicle access permit for conditions and instructions.

    Can I book multiple vehicle access permits on my account?

    Yes. You can book multiple vehicle access permits using the Queensland National Parks Booking Service. After you Add to Cart the first item, click on Continue Shopping to add additional permits. See Purchase a Vehicle Access Permit for instructions.

    Are gift cards transferrable?

    No, gift cards cannot be transferred to another account. However you can purchase a gift card and provide the gift card number to friends or family as a present. The amount of the gift card or balance remaining will not show in your account. Gift cards are valid for 36 months from date of purchase and can be used to pay for:

    • online camping permits
    • online vehicle access permits.

    Who has access to my account information?

    Department of Environment, Science and Innovation is committed to protecting user privacy. We understand that visitors and users of online permits are concerned about their privacy, and the confidentiality and security of any information that is provided.

    The department is authorised to collect this information under the Nature Conservation Act 1992, the Forestry Act 1959, and the Recreation Areas Management Act 2006. Some information may be given to other Queensland government departments for the purpose of emergency response. Your information will not be disclosed to any other parties without your consent unless authorised or required by law.

    For information on our commitment to privacy visit our Privacy statement. For specific privacy information or enquiries please email

    What if I don’t have internet access?

    You can still buy your permit:

    Remember to plan ahead, especially if you are travelling in regional Queensland.

    The Queensland National Parks Booking Service is a responsive website so you can access the service via your mobile phone or tablet.

    Alternatively, a lot of roadhouses and many accredited Visitor Information Centres around Queensland (open 7 days a week) have free Wi-Fi where you can get online.

    Some of our National Parks also have free Wi-Fi at visitor centres. Visit QldParks–Wifi for more information.

    Do I have to book in advance?

    Some camping areas are popular and need to be booked 3–12 months in advance, especially during school holidays. Less busy camping areas can be booked closer to the time you plan to visit.

    How do I apply for a refund?

    Go to ‘Your Bookings’ through the Queensland National Parks Booking Service and locate the permit you wish to cancel. See instructions on how to cancel or refund a camping booking.

    If you cancel more than two days prior to the permit start date, you will receive an automatic refund to the payment card or gift card used to make the purchase. If your booking was made through a booking agent, you will be issued with a gift card equal to your booking value.

    In most other situations, a refund will not be issued. Please refer to the QPWS Refund Policy.

    How do I check availability of a campground?

    You can check the availability using the online booking system. For detailed instructions see Check availability.

    Can I change sites once I arrive at the campground?

    Once your camping permit date commences, you cannot change the permit site or location. If you do not want to stay at the site booked, you can book a new permit for the new site and request a refund of the original permit. For instructions see Modify a camping booking or cancel a camping booking.

    Facilities and national parks

    What happens if the camping area is closed or access is unsafe?

    If there is a park alert advising of a park closure, you can apply for a refund of your camping permit via your online account. See instructions on how to cancel or refund a camping booking.

    Can I save a camp site for friends or family?

    No, please do not save, reserve or fence off areas—you might be taking another group’s site.

    How long can I stay?

    For most camping areas, the maximum stay is 29 nights (30 days). Check in to your camp after 2pm and check out by 11am on the day of departure. The maximum stay does vary, especially on overnight walks, so check the camping conditions when you book.

    You need to have a valid permit at all times, whether you know how long you want to stay or not. A request to extend your camping time can be made immediately before or during the permit period. Just know this will be difficult during busy times, as other campers might have booked the camp site you’re using.

    What facilities are in camping areas?

    Every camping area has different facilities, from toilets to BBQs, to drinking water and showers. Some areas are completely natural environments and have no facilities at all.

    Where can I download or buy a topographic map?

    Great Walks topographic maps can be purchased from sales outlets or on-screen versions can be downloaded. For more information and details visit Great Walks topographic maps.

    Can I take my pet with me?

    See dogs and pets to find out where you can take your dog or other domestic pets.

    Where can I have a camp fire?

    You can have camp fires in many of our camping areas, as long as you use the fireplaces, fire rings or existing fire locations. Read more camp fires and cooking.

    Are there any powered sites? Can I take a generator?

    None of our camping areas have powered sites but you can use a generator at some locations. Conditions apply so read up before you leave home.

    Can I fish in national parks?

    Fishing is permitted in many of our parks and forest—fisheries regulations and, in some cases, zoning rules apply. Read more about fishing.

    Can I take a firearm into a national park?

    You aren't allowed to use firearms in any of our parks or forests. In national and conservation parks, you can have a firearm in your vehicle but it must be securely and legally stored. To enter a state forests or forest reserve with a firearm you'll need to get a permit.

    Are there smoking restrictions in national parks?

    Smoking restrictions apply in Queensland’s national parks.

    Smoking restrictions in parks are one of several Queensland Health initiatives to reduce smoking rates in Queensland, limit people’s exposure to second-hand smoke and make more outdoor places smoke-free.

    For further information please see Smoking restrictions in National Parks.

    How do I unsubscribe from the QPWS Satisfaction Surveys or QPWS camping newsletter?

    Log in to the Queensland National Parks Booking Service and click on ‘Your Account’ and choose Your Account, then Your Profile from the drop-down menu. Note: You have to enter your password to edit any of your account details.

    Here you will find your account details that you can now update. Uncheck either of the subscription options to be removed from our distribution lists.

    Details on how to unsubscribe are included in any newsletters or surveys we send to you.